Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Brighton Rock (Crime/Thriller)

This film has a number of great things going for it: acting by Helen Mirren and John Hurt; production by Paul Webster (same guy that produced Atonement); and a story based on a popular 1938 Graham Greene novel. Unfortunately, these things weren’t enough for me......

‘Brighton Rock’ is set in the sleepy English seaside town of Brighton in 1964. The story follows the rapid rise and fall of Pinkie (played by Sam Riley from the 2007 indie film ‘Control’), a teenage gangster who takes matters into his own hands when his gang gets accused of committing a revenge killing.

First of all, there were way too many characters for my liking. I was one of those annoying movie goers who keeps whispering to their friend – ‘What did he say?’, ‘Who’s that again?’, ‘Why did he do that to that other bloke?’!. .Secondly, whilst I found the performances of the main characters convincing, I had trouble empathising with their characters (for example, Pinkie seemed too young and immature to rise to any kind of significant role in an established gang and Rose, who falls for bad boy Pinkie, was too whiny and stupid to pity). Which as you know is quite unusual for me, usually I can easily find some character to project myself onto!

In summary, I was lost and bored. I was seriously tempted to leave. Now I should confess it’s not unusual that I find myself lost during gang/ crime movies so my judgement could be a little harsh but I could count on one hand the number of times I’ve found myself wanting to walk out on a movie before it’s finished. In this case, I managed to stick it out till the end and I have to admit that I’m moderately glad I stayed seeing as the ending includes a nice little twist that I found to be one of the films redeeming features. Another redeeming feature is the actress who plays Rose, the ditzy girl that falls for Pinkie – Andrea Riseborough - a newcomer to the big screen. She was incredible and was deservedly nominated for two awards at the British Independent Film Awards (best actress and most promising newcomer). Apparently Cary Mulligan was originally cast to play Rose but pulled out to do ‘Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps’.

‘Brighton Rock’ is a DVD flick at best. The original starring Richard Attenborough might be more worthy if you’re a real Grahame Greene fan but this version of ‘Brighton Rock’ is too long, over complicated, and kind of boring. The only thing it did for me was give me an overwhelming desire to wander down the Brighton Pier with an ice cream in hand.



No comments:

Post a Comment